Welcome
Welcome to The Meryl Streep Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mamma Mia! Here we go again - Open discussion

Re: Rumored Projects

Postby XxlovemerylstreepxX » Sat May 20, 2017 12:46 am

Seems like we'll be getting a Mamma Mia Sequel after almost 10 years!
"Acting is not about being someone different. It's finding the similarity in what is apparently different, then finding myself in there."- Meryl Streep
XxlovemerylstreepxX
Karen Blixen

Postby EvaSofie » Sun May 21, 2017 1:57 am

XxlovemerylstreepxX wrote:Seems like we'll be getting a Mamma Mia Sequel after almost 10 years!

Guys this isn't rumored, it's true, it's happening, and no one's here :lol:
"But your difference, your thing that's unique to you, is the most valuable thing you have! The weird thing, is the thing that makes people remember you!"
-Meryl Streep

The Queen
EvaSofie
Lindy Chamberlain

Postby Simona » Sun May 21, 2017 8:14 am

Really don't know what to think...I really hope they won't "ruin" the first one with a bad prequel.
"Give Streep a role, and she gives it a soul."
Avatar by: Tina. Signature by: Me.
Simona
Site Admin

Postby rimini » Sun May 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Simona, I'm as concerned as you are, I must say. I don't see Meryl jumping around at 67, frankly and the first MM was a magical combination difficult to duplicate. I read somewhere that the sequel will focus on meryl's and brosnam's characters when they were young, a sort of prequel actually, so I expect lots of flash backs which can be a good choice as compared to have the old bunch merrily singing on the island.
rimini
Helen Archer

Postby EvaSofie » Sun May 21, 2017 8:03 pm

rimini wrote:Simona, I'm as concerned as you are, I must say. I don't see Meryl jumping around at 67, frankly and the first MM was a magical combination difficult to duplicate. I read somewhere that the sequel will focus on meryl's and brosnam's characters when they were young, a sort of prequel actually, so I expect lots of flash backs which can be a good choice as compared to have the old bunch merrily singing on the island.

She was just kicking her leg up at the Planned Parenthood Gala so she'll be fine. And other articles say her part will be smaller which makes sense because she still has to film the Spielberg movie.
"But your difference, your thing that's unique to you, is the most valuable thing you have! The weird thing, is the thing that makes people remember you!"
-Meryl Streep

The Queen
EvaSofie
Lindy Chamberlain

Postby Simona » Mon May 22, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm not worried by her agility, I think she would jump and dance like 10 years ago (my gosh, ith as been TEN years! :o ), it's the plot the risk!
Simona
Site Admin

Postby Simona » Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Yeah, things really changed here. If the news about a Mamma Mia! sequel had been out four or five years ago this place would have burnt down!

Simona has been thanked by:
Simona
Site Admin

Postby rimini » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:05 pm

I just feel it is time for Meryl to go back to "important" productions, pictures that make a difference. I think the last one was probably The Hours. When I heard about MPR I wrote to one of her addressed, actually, something that I had never even dreamed to do before, asking her to go back to serious stuff, to get political, because this is the time to stand up, as she does outside the set. But it also has to be a great movie, an Oscar worthy one, that remains impressed in people's mind. That's why I'm thrilled about the Papers or whatever it will be called, I have so high hopes about it. And yes, I'm sorry, but I don't feel that excited for MMII
rimini
Helen Archer

Postby EvaSofie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm

rimini wrote:I just feel it is time for Meryl to go back to "important" productions, pictures that make a difference. I think the last one was probably The Hours. When I heard about MPR I wrote to one of her addressed, actually, something that I had never even dreamed to do before, asking her to go back to serious stuff, to get political, because this is the time to stand up, as she does outside the set. But it also has to be a great movie, an Oscar worthy one, that remains impressed in people's mind. That's why I'm thrilled about the Papers or whatever it will be called, I have so high hopes about it. And yes, I'm sorry, but I don't feel that excited for MMII

The Devil Wears Prada, Julie & Julia, The Iron Lady, AOC, and FFJ for that matter are pretty important because they tell stories of (or are based off of) real people.
-Meryl Streep

The Queen
EvaSofie
Lindy Chamberlain

Postby MadyClo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:05 pm

rimini wrote:I just feel it is time for Meryl to go back to "important" productions, pictures that make a difference. I think the last one was probably The Hours. When I heard about MPR I wrote to one of her addressed, actually, something that I had never even dreamed to do before, asking her to go back to serious stuff, to get political, because this is the time to stand up, as she does outside the set. But it also has to be a great movie, an Oscar worthy one, that remains impressed in people's mind. That's why I'm thrilled about the Papers or whatever it will be called, I have so high hopes about it. And yes, I'm sorry, but I don't feel that excited for MMII

@rimini, I see what you mean but i don't totally agree with you.
1) We all know that productions that make a difference with woman character who are more than 60 are very very rare... so becicly, i think we can't blame her for a huge problem that concerns films makers and producers first.
2) i think the actress job is not ONLY to make "important" film. Of course, it's important and I love when meryl do that and is able to be stand up in her movies just like she does outside. But actors job is also to tell common stories where common people can recognize themselves. Their job is also about offers dreams, entertainment and fun to us.
3) Really, I think Meryl is so right to take the liberty to choose her movies (is she is able to) and to do some fun projects that are also fun for her. I mean after the career she had and all the beautiful roles she gave to us, i can understand she wants to do some "light" projects that are just bringing fun to us and to her. I would do the exact same thing at her place.

So, i can understand what you mean and i am rally happy to see her in The papers project too ! I also would love her to do more movies like that. But i also like her for her simplicity and sincerity she gives in more commons roles.
(Please don't take this answer as an offensive response or whatever :oops: I just try to expose my point of view with a not really good english :D )
"I'm curious about other people. That's the essence of my acting. I'm interesting in what it would be like to be you" - Meryl Streep.

MadyClo has been thanked by:
MadyClo
Helen Archer

Postby MadyClo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:07 pm

And badaway, I'm SOOOOO excited by Mamma Mia 2 ! even if i am afraid of a very wick sequel but i'm so in love with the first one, i can't wait :roll: <3
"I'm curious about other people. That's the essence of my acting. I'm interesting in what it would be like to be you" - Meryl Streep.
MadyClo
Helen Archer

Postby Simona » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:44 pm

rimini wrote: And yes, I'm sorry, but I don't feel that excited for MMII

Well, when I wrote that years ago the forum would have burnt down after the MMII news I didn't mean everybody would have been happy about that! What I missed is exactly what you did...speak! Exchange opinions!

About the kind of movies Meryl is doing lately, I appreciate the fact that she is able to balance something light like Mary Poppins Returns and something with more substance like The Papers. I mean, I want to think because of her but I also want to laugh. I agree with you about great movies, she did good movies lately, not great.

Simona has been thanked by:
Simona
Site Admin

Postby rimini » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 pm

I just want to say to all you guys that I respect our opinions of course and don't get me wrong, I think Meryl was a joy to watch in every movies she made in the last years. Still I miss her being in movies that get e. g. Oscar attention and have a political impact. Hopefully the Papers will be the one.

rimini has been thanked by:
rimini
Helen Archer

Postby ila » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 pm

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/189139/kno ... lm-sequel/

So...the sequel is a prequel, confirmed eh?! Guess Meryl's part will be little? Who knows what they are doing...it is official then...hope they don't go too far!! I mean, we know Mamma Mia isn't an oscar movie (and I love it <3 <3 <3 ) but I just hope it's not a silly sequel/prequel...fingers crossed for it to be fun like the first one :oops:
ila
Rachel Samstat

Mamma Mia! Here we go again - Open discussion

Postby Simona » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 am

I've finally created the forum for the sequel and moved all the post about it here.

'Mamma Mia' Sequel Adds Lily James (Exclusive)

James, who sang "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" for 2015's Cinderella, will play the role of "Young Donna." The pic goes back and forth in time to show how relationships forged in the past resonate in the present.

Source

What do you think? Good o bad choice?
Simona
Site Admin

Re: Mamma Mia! Here we go again - Open discussion

Postby XxlovemerylstreepxX » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:10 am

I think she's a good choice, great actress and she can sing. I really enjoyed her work on Downton Abbey and War and Peace :)
"Acting is not about being someone different. It's finding the similarity in what is apparently different, then finding myself in there."- Meryl Streep
XxlovemerylstreepxX
Karen Blixen

Postby Simona » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am

Yes, she is a good actress, she doesn't look like Meryl a lot, though. Make up will make miracles!
Simona
Site Admin

Postby DeniseP » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:46 am

I think Lily James is a good choice. She doesn't look too much like Meryl now, but she does have the long blond hair and as a young Meryl, she could be a match! I wasn't sure how I felt about a prequel to MM, but I think now I'm excited! I heard Christine Baranski is coming back also, but not Julie Walters? I'd be sad not to see her!

Thank you, Tina, for the signature and avatar! <3

People say, When you have children, everything changes. But maybe things are awakened that were already there. ~Meryl Streep
DeniseP

Return to Mamma Mia! Here we go again (2018)